S. Bodus

Requirements for buying a shotgun in California

In Buying guns, California firearms laws, What I am frequently asked on December 31, 2010 at 4:07 pm

1.  Live in California.

2. Have a California driver’s license or state-issued ID card.

3. Have your current address on your CDL/ID—or bring proof that you live where you say you do.  (Utility bill–gas, electricity, water, or cable bill, or your car registration–whichever of these has your current address and your name on it.)

And now, as of January 1, 2014, long-guns are registered with the state, just as handguns are.


  1. Big 5 doesn’t ask for #3 to buy rifles. Just a driver’s license works there ok.

  2. That’s interesting. ATF requires that the address be current and that it not be a post office box address.
    I’m guessing that your CDL is current, so of course it wouldn’t be an issue for you—please note that I said you have to have a current address on your CDL/ID or be prepared to prove you live in California.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: