Please contact the members of the CA State Senate and urge them to vote YES on Senate Bill 610 (Wright) http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=sb610&year=2011
Some talking points regarding SB610:
- SB 610 would standardize the application process for a license to carry a concealed handgun and reform requirements for applicants.
- Currently, some licensing agencies require applicants to pay a firearms training fees, purchase liability insurance and pay hundreds of dollars in costs before the agency determines if the applicant has “good cause” for the issuance of a CCW license.
- Senate Bill 610 would amend the current sequence for processing of the applications and require the issuing agency to determine if the applicant has “good cause” BEFORE the applicant is required to expend the time and the cost required for the completion of the approval process.
- If the CCW applicant is determined to have “good cause”, they would still be required to pass a background check/screening and complete the required firearms training before the agency would complete the process and issue a CCW permit.
- Senate Bill 610 would also prohibit issuing agencies from requiring CCW applicants to obtain liability insurance as a condition of issuance of a license. Liability insurance can cost an applicant hundreds of dollars per year and is not required under existing law and should not be required to obtain a license.
- The passage of Senate Bill 610 would reform the current CCW application process bringing uniformity and fairness to the applicants.
Remember, contact the Senate and urge them to pass this important reform bill. Circulate this entire message to all gun owners, clubs, forums, blogs, etc. Spread the word and keep up the pressure!
If you have any questions, please contact me using the contact information below.
H. Paul Payne
NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
3565 La Ciotat Way
Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 683-4NRA Office
(951) 779-0740 Fax